A project of the size of Havant Thicket Winter Storage Reservoir will generate a broad range of issues that extend well beyond the engineering aspects of the scheme. It is envisaged that the principal issues the Company will need to address in association with the planning application, will be:
- Review of the volume of water available at the Havant & Bedhampton Springs;
- Review of water demand forecast;
- Review of options for meeting future demand;
- Review of alternative reservoir sites and layouts;
- Engineering works, including the need for additional water treatment;
- Environmental impact;
- Archaeological and cultural heritage aspects present on and around the site;
- Traffic Assessment;
- Landscape and visual assessment;
- Recreational facilities;
- Environmental mitigation and enhancement;
- Integrated public access and use of the site; and
- Possible public inquiry
The site of the reservoir straddles the administrative boundary between two planning authorities, East Hampshire District Council and Havant Borough Council. A planning strategy has been discussed with the local authorities.
In February 2009 the Environmental Impact Assessment Scoping Report was sent to the local authorities and statutory consultees for comment. The report explains how potential environmental impacts will be reviewed and assessed before the planning application is submitted.